Limitations of Screencast-o-matic
- Writing a script if time allows and practice at least one time before you record.
- Have the website you want to use open on a different tab on the same browser.
- Open Screencast-o-matic. Your browser may require you to install or allow Java so be installed. Be prepared to click "Install", "OK" ,or "Always Allow" as needed.
- Creating a free Screencast-o-matic account is recommended. For a quick project like this - no account is required.
- Once you have Screencast-o-matic ready to record, you can switch to a different tab or even use multiple tabs in the same recording.
- Adjust the capture window to fit what you want to record. Decide if you need to include the address bar. I like to leave a little room at the bottom so the record bar is displayed while recording. Screencast-o-matic provide preset sizes which you may use or you can drag the dashed line frame to fit the area you want to record.
- If you don't see the display moving, then problem solve (often times the mic is muted, not plugged in, record levels set too low, or the right devices is not selected in the computer's audio settings.)
- Decide if you want to record your webcam along with your video. You can always include it and later decide you don't want to use it. There is no option in this free version to include the webcam for only the beginning portion of your recording. When you begin recording, Screencast-o-matic will hide the video if it overlaps onto your recording. So you know this is happening - you'll get a warning message (the webcam video is still being recorded.)
- Click the red record button - Screencast-o-matic provide a 3, 2, 1, Go count down before it start recording. When you are finished click "Done".
- Click under the YouTube Account to "Add Account". If you are not currently logged into YouTube, you will be prompted to log in. You will need to grant permission for Screencast-o-matic to access your YouTube account.
- When you are ready, click "Upload to YouTube"
- In a few minutes, visit YouTube's Video Manager and see if your video is being processed.
- Show the screencast you created which is now uploaded to YouTube to at least one other person. Ask them to give you feedback on two things they liked and one suggestion for improvement.